MOROCCAN STUFFED SWEET POTATOES
I developed this recipe for fasting days when I’m having an intense sugar and carb craving. Moroccan food often uses sweeter spices. To skip the usual brown sugar or sweetener added to most dishes, I've used classic Moroccan pairings like dried fruits and sweet potato. Of this series, this is probably the most filling. For more protein, top with a fried egg.
MOROCCAN STUFFED SWEET POTATOES
serves 2, 60 minutes
- 1lb sweet potatoes (2 large)
- 1lb chicken breast, beef, or lamb (macros are for chicken), cut into large peices
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 1.5 cups pinto beans, cooked
- 5-8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 pieces dried apricot
- 2 cups broth or water
- 1.5 tablespoons Moroccan Seasoning, recipe follows
- Cilantro for serving
- Salt & Pepper to
makes 8 tablespoons
- 5 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 5 teaspoons ground cumin
- 5 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2-3 teaspoons cayenne pepper (less if you can’t handle heat)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 400F (205C). Scrub your potatoes, pierce a with fork all over, and coat with fat of choice. Bake in oven for 45-60 minutes.
- While potatoes are baking, prep onion, bell peppers, garlic and tomatoes.
- Coat a large pan with fat of choice and sauté, onions, and pepper until tender.
- Add in meat and garlic and cook through until meat has browned.
- Add in tomatoes, apricots, and Moroccan seasoning. Cook for about 10 minutes over medium heat until tomatoes are juicy.
- Add in beans and broth, let simmer for about 50 minutes covered, until liquid has mostly reduced.
- Open up your baked sweet potatoes, stuff with spiced chicken and beans. Top with cilantro for serving.
You're better than this. You don't need cans in your life. You're a strong, confi-- I mean... Let's learn how to make fresh pumpkin puree, okay?
Chimichurri salmon with savory millet and avocado is the perfect high fat meal to break a fast with. Play around with this South American condiment on any type of protein.
Hailing from the dirty north of Beijing, these red beans and rice might make you wanna throw dem bows after getting fueled up post-fast.
I'm also sick of America's taking on Asian cuisine. But this Thai green chicken coconut curry is so velvety and rich, you just might forgive me.
I swear these ain't fajitas. But they could be! Flank steak and peppers with a Spanish tortilla is perfectly paleo, low carb, and keto-friendly. Eat up, player.
My take on incorporating North African flavors into everyday life. Moroccan stuffed sweet potatoes will fill. You. Up. MMM!
If you can't beat 'em, join. These Chipotle Copy Cat Bowls will help you break a fast and get every last tiny bit of nutrients you need.
I'll probably go to hell any way, so I may as well start by filling up with Eggs in Purgatory. Flavorful tomato sauce and a runny yolk make this a perfect fast-breaking meal.
I've joined the dark side and have taken on zoodling. Let's spiralize the summer away with my shrimp and andouille zoodle scampi.
These crispy baked oyster mushrooms ain't psychedelic, but they will blow your mind.